When shopping for the right hoverboard, obviously one of the most important factors is price. So you’re probably asking yourself “how much money is a hoverboard?” Moreover, you’re probably wondering “what is the price range for a good hoverboard? What is the right price point for a hoverboard that fits my needs?”
We’ll answer all those questions and more. So keep reading.
How Much is a Hoverboard and What is the Ideal Hoverboard Price Range?
You can buy a solid and safe hoverboard between $100 to as much as $700. But our research indicates that the sweet spot is between $300 and $600. This is the price range will score you great battery life, short charge times, long range and a great maximum top speed.
Why Do Hoverboards Cost This Much?
This biggest factor of a hoverboard’s cost are the following: a powerful motor, a larger capacity battery, and longer range. Of course safety technology and cost of materials also play a role, but that’s a given.
Other factors that go into the cost are hoverboard technologies, which include LED lights, Bluetooth speakers, a smartphone app and water resistance.
This is why it is important to match the hoverboard’s features and power with your needs.
Sure, you could buy a hoverboard with the most powerful specs, fully loaded with features, but do you really need those? Chances are, you can ditch a few extravagant add ons and save yourself some money.
At different price points, you see a difference in power, as well as other abilities.
For example, a lower priced hoverboard is less likely to pack in a powerful motor, handle steep inclines or come with many extras. Conversely, the higher the price, the more capable your hoverboard will be.
Below is a general breakdown of what you can expect to get for your money:
- This will snag you a dependable, but basic hoverboard. One that’s good for new or experienced riders, but it won’t excite the latter. Don’t expect any extras or a lot of power. Of course, that means sacrificing things like a higher speed, longer range, and maybe even longer battery charging times.
- This is the price range that we consider to be the “sweet spot” for hoverboards. In this price range you’ll find more features like apps, Bluetooth speakers, off-road capabilities, and much more. Moreover, the build quality also gets better, giving you a more rugged and durable hoverboard. Battery charging times, range and speed also improve as a general rule.
- As far as we are concerned, this is the price range for an experienced hoverboard riders. So what does this get you? All of the extras, the longest range, the fastest top speeds and the durability you’d expect of a hoverboard that will last the test of time.
Should I Buy a Used Hoverboard Over a Brand New One?
Hoverboards can be an expensive investment, so why not look for a used model? That’s always an option and it will save you money.
However, there are some important points to consider before you buy a used hoverboard. First, even if a used hoverboard appears to be in new like condition, there is no way to truly tell just how much wear and tear the current owner has subjected it too.
It may look pristine, but the battery maybe heavily used, or the motor may have lost some of its gusto. So suffice to say, buying a used hoverboard is a gamble.
That said, you truly don’t know the history of a used hoverboard and especially for safety reasons, we recommend buying it new, which will also give you a manufacturer’s warranty. Sure, you could spend more, but you will be safe and your purchase will be covered should anything go wrong.
See the section below to find out what kind of costs you could incur otherwise.
How Much Does it Cost to Fix a Hoverboard?
If your warranty is expired or if you bought a used hoverboard, you may need to replace parts and fix it at some point. If you do decide to fix it yourself, we suggest you consult some Youtube videos.
Here is a list of what some of these repairs will cost you. These are rough estimates only as prices for parts and service often change.
This is general pricing to fix a hoverboard at a dealer:
- Motherboard $150.
- Gyroscope $120.
- Motor replacement $180
- Hoverboard frame $160
DIY Hoverboard repair parts cost:
- Motherboard $30-$70.
- Gyroscope $20-$50.
- Motor replacement $80-$120.
- Hoverboard frame $20-$90.
Where to Buy a Hoverboard
There are an assortment of stores and options when it come to buying a hoverboard. Our favorite, though, is Amazon. It’s one of the most trusted stores on the Internet, offers a generous 30-day return policy and generally speaking has a consumer’s back when a problem arises.
#1 Swagtron T5 Hoverboard – $150+
- Battery indicator
- Light weight and well made
- 10 mile range
- 5 hour charging time
- Low speed
#2 Swagtron T580 – $200+
- Bluetooth enabled
- Comes with app
- Provides a smooth ride
- Low max speed
- Low range
- Mid-range power
#3 Razor Hovertrax 2.0 Hoverboard – $250+
- Detachable battery
- Range of 15 miles
- Low battery life
- Top speed could be faster
- Not water resistant
#4 Skque Self Balancing Electric Scooter – $300+
- Smart battery with a quick charge
- Bluetooth speakers
- Quality construction
- Low max speed
- No smartphone app
How Much Is A Hoverboard: What You Get For Your Money was originally published on check out our recent reviews